Creative Employee Appreciation Day Themes and Party Ideas for 2024
January 18, 2024
Employee Appreciation Day is just around the corner, and what better way to show you dedicated team that you value their hard work than by throwing them a memorable celebration?
While a simple "thank you" can go a long way, a fun-filled Employee Appreciation Day can take your appreciation to the next level.
This blog explores fun and creative ways to celebrate Employee Appreciation Day, including party ideas, dress-up day themes, and gift ideas.
What Should Employers Do for Employee Appreciation Day?
Employee Appreciation Day is a nationally recognized day, falling on the first Friday of March. It’s a day dedicated to recognizing and celebrating the dedication and contributions of employees.
To make this day memorable for your employees, organizations should strive to create an appreciative and fun-filled experience for their employees. A few great ways you can do this include:
- Recognition: Send a special digital recognition experience through a recognition and rewards platform.
- Lunch: Host a nice lunch for employees to enjoy at the company’s expense.
- Activities: Make a few memories and strengthen team bonds with a team-building activity.
- Party: Throw your employees a party during the workday, celebrating their dedication and hard work.
- Reward: Show your employees how valued they are and celebrate their contributions with a meaningful gift.
The key to Employee Appreciation Day is to make employees feel truly valued and recognized for their hard work and dedication. Try to celebrate your employees in a way that aligns with your organization’s culture, core values, and goals.
If you are still trying to figure out what to do, consider surveying your staff for their thoughts on the best way to celebrate the day.
20 Creative Dress-Up Day Themes for Employee Appreciation Day
Incorporating dress-up day themes into Employee Appreciation Day is not only a fun and engaging way to break the monotony of the regular work routine, but it also fosters a sense of community for employees. Whether through a silly theme like “Wacky Wednesday” or the nostalgic charm of a “90’s Day”, these themed dress-up days can boost morale.
Here are 20 fun dress-up day themes for Employee Appreciation Day:
- Pajama Day: Comfort at its best with a day in PJs!
- Jersey Day: Let employees show off their favorite sports team for the day.
- Superhero Day: Throw on a cape or a t-shirt of your favorite superhero.
- Decades Day: Pick a decade and have everyone dress in its iconic style.
- Hero vs Villain: A playful face-off between good and evil characters.
- Favorite TV Show Character: From sitcoms to dramas, all TV characters are welcome.
- Favorite Movie Character: Pay homage to the world of cinema by dressing up as your favorite character.
- Disco Day: Bring back the 70s with a disco-themed day.
- Favorite Meme Day: A fun way to dress for modern times.
- Western Day: Grab your hats, boots, and lassos, and dress up as cowboys and cowgirls.
- Sitcom Day: Dress up as a beloved sitcom character.
- 80’s Day: Jump back in time to the 80’s with neon, leg warmers, and big hair.
- 90’s Day: Throwback to era of grunge and pop.
- Roaring 20’s Day: Dress up as flappers and in dapper suits.
- Twins Day: Have employees pair up and dress the same or as a duo from a show or book.
- Cartoon Day: Get nostalgic and wear your favorite cartoon character's costume.
- Vintage Day: Focus on a specific era, such as the 1800’s, for a classy throwback.
- Jungle Safari Day: Grab your bucket hat, khaki shorts, and binoculars.
- Sci-Fi Day: Dedicate the day to a science-fiction theme.
- Rock n’ Roll Day: Jump back in time and dress up as your favorite artist.
Dress-Up Days for the Week
If you want to expand the celebration to the whole week, here are dress-up day themes that match each day of the week:
- Monday: Marvel Monday – Employees can dress up as their favorite Marvel superheroes or characters.
- Tuesday: Tacky Tourist Day – Employees wear typical tourist clothing such as Hawaiian shirts, khaki shorts, and sunglasses.
- Wednesday: Wacky Wednesday – Employees dress up with mismatched, colorful outfits.
- Thursday: Twin Day – Employees pair up and dress up identically.
- Friday: Fandom Friday – Employees dress up as characters from one of their favorite movies, books, or games.
Make dress-up days extra fun for your employees by rewarding the best-dressed employee. Consider hosting a raffle for those participating or have employees vote on who has the best outfit.
Employee Appreciation Day Party Ideas
Throwing a celebration for your employees is a great way to boost morale, recognize dedication, and improve engagement. If you plan to host an Employee Appreciation Day party, here are a few fun ideas you can use to make it a memorable event.
One of the highlights of an Employee Appreciation Day party can be an award ceremony. Use this time to recognize outstanding employees and their achievements. You can create a few categories like “Employee of the Year,” “Innovator of the Year,” or “Team Player of the Year” and have employees nominate co-workers a few weeks prior.
Team Building Activities
- Scavenger Hunt: Organize a scavenger hunt within your office or at a nearby location. Teams can work together to solve clues and complete challenges, promoting teamwork and problem-solving skills.
- Company Trivia: Test your employees’ knowledge about the company’s history, values, and culture with a fun trivia game. It’s a great way to test their knowledge and educate them about the company’s history.
- Community Service: Dedicate the day to giving back to your local community. Organize a local volunteer event or a charity to support.
- Baby Picture Guessing Game: Looking for a lighthearted game? This is a game that’s sure to bring out a few laughs. Ask employees to bring their baby pictures and have everyone try to guess who’s who.
- Puzzle Competition: Challenge your employee’s mental acumen with a puzzle competition. Create small teams and have them compete to solve jigsaw puzzles in a set time frame.
- Talent Show: Have your employees showcase their hidden talents. From singing to dancing to stand-up comedy, encourage everyone to participate and applaud their unique skills.
- Personalized Thank You Notes: Handwritten thank you notes from supervisors or colleagues can go a long way in making employees feel appreciated.
- Company Superlatives: Create fun superlatives like “Best Dressed,” “Office Jokester,” or “Most Helpful” to bring a touch of humor and recognition to the workplace.
- Launch a Recognition Program: Consider launching a digital recognition and rewards program, like Connects, that fosters employee connection and rewards exceptional performance year-round.
- Highlight Achievements: Set up a display, video, or PowerPoint to showcase the company’s and employees’ recent achievements. It’s a visual reminder of how everyone’s contributions have shaped the organization.
- Video from the Leadership Team: Recognition from superiors has proven to be appreciative. A heartfelt video message from the leadership team expressing their gratitude and appreciation can be a powerful gesture to the staff.
Other Fun Employee Appreciation Day Ideas
- Photo Booth: Set up a photo booth with props and a backdrop for employees to capture fun moments. Employees will walk away with memorable photos to keep forever.
- Cater Lunch: Arrange a special lunch catered by a favorite local restaurant. A delicious meal is always appreciated by staff. Plus, it encourages employees to connect and catch up.
- Bring in a Sweet Treat: Surprise your employees with a dessert buffet, chocolate fountain, or local favorite to show your appreciation.
- Have a Caricature Artist: Hire a caricature artist to create funny and unique portraits of your employees. Plus, they will walk away with a fun, personalized keepsake.
- Wellness Day: Consider hosting a wellness day with activities like yoga or meditation. It’s a thoughtful way to promote employee wellbeing and allow them to decompress.
- Headshot: Has it been a few years since you and your staff had a headshot taken? Hire a photographer to take everyone’s headshot during the workday.
Taking the time to celebrate your employees, whether through lunch, a party, or the day off, can make all the difference to your employees. And it doesn't have to break the bank - many low-to-no cost ways will make the day just as memorable for employees. Check out this blog for a few inexpensive ideas.
Unique Employee Appreciation Day Gift Ideas
One effective way to show appreciation on Employee Appreciation Day is by giving your staff a thoughtful gift. This can include anything from a gift card to branded merchandise to the latest tech gadget.
Here are ten fun Employee Appreciation Day gift ideas to surprise your staff with:
Gift Cards: Let your employees choose a gift they will love with a gift card from a popular brand.
Wellness Packages: Support your employees’ wellbeing and mental health with a self-care package. Include items such as candles, sleep masks, journals, and books.
Tech Gadget: With technology ever-evolving, employees can always use the latest tech. Consider gifting your employees a pair of headphones, a portable monitor, or a digital notepad.
Work Essentials Package: As we all know, pens get lost, and sticky notes get used quickly. Give your employees a kit full of their work essentials, including pens, sticky notes, paper clips, and a notepad.
Nice Water Bottle: No one turns down a water bottle! A nice water bottle is a practical gift that employees can use in and out of the office.
Cash: Looking for a simple gift? Give your employees cash, allowing them to use the money for something they need.
The Day Off: Sometimes, there is nothing better than the gift of time. Let your employees take Employee Appreciation Day off, allowing them to spend it with their loved ones.
Coffee or Tea Set: Help your employees start their workdays on the right foot with a nice coffee or tea set.
Sweet or Savory Treat: Consider gifting employees a tasty dessert or savory basket, such as chocolate, popcorn, or nuts, to show your appreciation.
Company Merchandise: Turn your employees into walking brand ambassadors by gifting them some company swag.
Need some more inspiration? Click here for additional Employee Appreciation Day gift ideas, from simple to elaborate, to make the day more memorable.
Why You Should Celebrate Employee Appreciation Day
With high disengagement and burnout plaguing companies in the past few years – and only 29% of employees receiving recognition in the last year - celebrating key moments in the employee experience is essential for driving organizational success in the post-pandemic era.
Employee recognition is a powerful lever companies can use to motivate their workforce and improve the employee experience. Employees who feel valued and appreciated by their organization are more likely to be satisfied, engaged, and productive. In fact, employee recognition can improve engagement, productivity, and performance by 14%.
Employee Appreciation Day provides the perfect opportunity for employers to show gratitude towards their work, and it can bring about several positive outcomes, including:
#1 Boost Morale
Recognizing employees’ dedication and contributions can significantly boost morale within the workplace. When employees feel valued and appreciated, they are more likely to feel motivated and satisfied. This boost in morale can reinforce their connection to the company, increase productivity, and create a more positive work environment.
#2 Increase Engagement
Employee engagement is essential for the success of any company. Recognizing and celebrating employees’ hard work on Employee Appreciation Day is one great way to boost engagement. Engaged employees tend to be more committed to work, which can result in improved productivity and a willingness to go above and beyond.
#3 Improve Job Satisfaction
Employees who feel appreciated and valued are more likely to be satisfied with their jobs. Celebrating this special day can lead to higher job satisfaction, which can lead to reduced turnover rates.
#4 Foster Belonging and Purpose
Recognizing your employees on Employee Appreciation Day can strengthen an employee’s sense of belonging and purpose within an organization. When employees feel valued and seen, they are more likely to feel like they belong and are more motivated to perform their best.
#5 Cultivate a Positive Workplace Culture
As we all know, a positive workplace culture is fundamental for attracting and retaining talent. Employee Appreciation Day plays a vital role in cultivating such a culture. Celebrating this day sets the tone for a more positive and appreciative workplace. This, in turn, can enhance collaboration, performance, and overall job satisfaction.
By celebrating Employee Appreciation Day, organizations can create a work environment where employees thrive. Make sure to mark your calendars and recognize your employees on Employee Appreciation Day. Your employees and business will thank you for it.
Celebrating Your Staff on Employee Appreciation Day
Are you looking for a way to make Employee Appreciation Day extra special for your employees? A digital recognition and engagement platform like Inspirus Connects makes recognizing employees easy. It empowers you to send employees a meaningful digital message and budget-aligned reward, showcasing your appreciation to your staff.
If you want to make your employees feel truly valued on Employee Appreciation Day, talk with an Inspirus specialist today!
Employee Appreciation Day FAQ’s
What do you say for Employee Appreciation Day?
On Employee Appreciation Day, expressing your gratitude and recognizing your employee’s hard work and dedication is important. Consider sending employees handwritten notes or a thoughtful digital message.
For example, you can say something along the lines of “Thank you for your outstanding contributions to our team. Your efforts are truly valued and make a significant impact at [Organization Name].”
What are some good employee appreciation gifts?
Choosing the right employee appreciation gifts can depend on individual preferences and the circumstances. For instance, it can include both tangible and intangible items. The key to a good employee appreciation gift is ensuring it's useful. Here are some ideas:
- Personalized items such as custom mugs or pens
- Gift card for a popular brand
- Spa vouchers for self-care
- Catered lunch or office celebration
- The day off for rest and recharging
What is a good way to show employee appreciation?
The key to showing employee appreciation is to make it genuine. A thoughtful, personalized employee appreciation can go a long way in making employees feel truly valued and appreciated. Fortunately, there are a myriad of ways you can show gratitude to your staff, such as:
- Acknowledging their achievements and hard work with a personalized message
- Offering professional development opportunities for employees that go above and beyond
- Rewarding employees for big milestones and achievements
When is Employee Appreciation Day?
Employee Appreciation Day falls on the first Friday of March. For example, Employee Appreciation Day will be on March 1st in 2024.